What is Giving Tuesday?
GivingTuesday is a global generosity movement unleashing the power of radical generosity. Giving Tuesday was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good. Since then, it has grown into a year-round global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity. Join the movement and give – each Tuesday and every day – whether it’s some of your time, a donation, or the power of your voice in your local community.
It’s a simple idea: whether it’s making someone smile, helping a neighbor or stranger out, showing up for an issue or people we care about, or giving some of what we have to those who need our help, every act of generosity counts and everyone has something to contribute toward building the better world we all want to live in.
When is Giving Tuesday for 2022? I will be on November 29th. Of course, you don’t have to wait until November to give to Soroptimist of Elk Grove. You can click on the donate button and give anytime. You can also support our fundraisers throughout the year.
Where is Giving Tuesday? It is online, inside your computer or phone or tablet. You can click this link to get there.
Why should you give; what do we do with the funds raised by this fundraiser? We support the people in our community, especially girls and women. Here are some examples:
- Dream It, Be It — Career support for girls in secondary school who face obstacles to their future success. This program provides girls with access to professional role models, career education and the resources to live their dreams.
- Live Your Dream Award — The other Dream program and our club’s major project, this program assists women by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills and job prospects.
- Teen Dating Violence Project — Teenagers are especially vulnerable to dating violence because they don’t always have a clear understanding of healthy vs. unhealthy relationships. To raise awareness among teenagers about teen dating violence, Soroptimist International of Elk Grove created the Soroptimist Teen Dating Violence Bookmark and other resources.
- Scholarships — We provide a scholarship for two female high school seniors through the Elk Grove Regional Scholarship Foundation. One is for a foster girl.
- Click here to learn more about our other programs.
How do you give? It is a simple process, you can click on the donate button on our website to make a donation. Click on the amount you want to donate, or fill in the box for any amount that you want. Answer a few questions and follow the steps to provide your credit card info. I know that we have dozens of wonderful organizations in Elk Grove that give so much to make our community a better place to live, and I hope that you remember Soroptimist International of Elk Grove with your giving. Thank you!