Welcome to the Soroptimist International of Elk Grove Website.
Please take the time to look around to see who we are and how we serve our community. Hopefully you will discover that you would like to be a part of what we do and will want to join us. Feel free to leave your comments on our Contact Us page.
A message from the President…
Welcome to our club! We would be thrilled to have you as a member of Soroptimist International of Elk Grove (SIEG); we are a global women’s organization whose members work to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment. Soroptimist programs focus on providing women and girls with access to education, which is one of the most effective ways to end social problems disproportionately affecting women and girls.
Soroptimist International (SI) has consultative status with the United Nations’ Economic and Social Council, which oversees U.N. activities and policies promoting human rights. It is in this forum that Soroptimist representatives can advocate for the Soroptimist mission of improving the lives of women and girls. Our past efforts have been, in conjunction with other SI clubs, to purchase solar cookers for women of Darfur, Sudan; Women, Water & Leadership; and sewing dresses for Dress A Girl Around the World.
As part of our mission, we provide the following programs:
- Two $1,000 scholarships to high school girls, one of whom is a foster youth;
- 3 – $1000 grants through our “Live Your Dream Award” to assist women who are pursuing an education who provide the primary source of financial support for their families.
- “Dream it, Be It: Career Support for Girls” a mentoring program to assist high school girls in goal setting, how to achieve those goals, and overcoming obstacles. The program provides girls with access to professional role models, career education and the resources to live their dreams.
- Helping Hands, cash grants for Senior Women to assist with urgently needed living expenses.
- Assisting foster youth who are graduating from high school and transitioning to independent living.
We are grateful for the community support of our annual fundraisers which provide us with the funds to finance our programs:
- See’s Candies Store We regretfully announce that there will be no holiday See’s Candy
store this year. The club was unable to secure any vacant storefront space for the traditional
fundraiser of several decades.
- Martinis & Merriment held in March. Enjoy live music, professional comedians, the mini-martinis and small bites provided by local restaurants, a raffle and silent auction.
- Bunco held at The Park @ Laguna Springs Independent Living Facility typically in the Fall. A very fun one-day event.
Some of the many local programs that we support include:
- Elk Grove Food Bank
- John’s Program for Real Change
- Chicks in Crisis
- Wellspring Women’s Center
- See’s for Soldiers
- My Sister’s House
Whew! We know that sounds like a lot, but we do it together. “Many hands make light work.” If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. It’s our pleasure! And again, welcome to our club!!
Soroptimist International of Elk Grove
Hi this is Ash a sorophmist sister from Fiji arrived in Elk Grove a month ago.I never realized how hard it would be to find accomodation for my family.Being a strong person I know there is no turning back being a SI member for three years and a school teacher for ten years I n
ever imagined how helpless i feel my husband is to start work at the airport being incharge (captain rank) my two boys need to go to school i also have work at elk grove library it is so frustrating tryn to get ahouse plz can u help me to start of or anywhere i can get accomidation waitin for fabourable response sister
I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult time. My suggestion would be to talk with a local realtor who can assist you with finding a property management company if you want to rent a home or to assist you with the purchase of a home.
Contact Jack Edwards at http://www.ElkGroveRealEstate.com His email is jack.edwards@CBnorcal.com His phone number is 916-240-9302
Just a quick thank you to one of your members. I sat with you on the plane yesterday as you came back from Florida. Thank you for the wonderful conversation and body lotion! I used it today before my friend’s wedding. I will absolutely, as promised, share your organization with my friends that live in this area. I sincerely hope they decide to become involved. You are an inspiration!
You friendly, neighborhood oncology nurse from North Carolina.
Lori: You should have received a direct response from Genny Fulp, the Soroptimist that you sat with on the trip. I am so happy that you and Genny hit it off so well.
Charline: You should have received a response from Tracey a few minutes ago. I am sure that you will enjoy being a part of the Soroptimist International of Elk Grove. I had a nice visit with your husband at the Lions meeting on Monday. (Jack Edwards, Elk Grove Lions, but also the webmaster for the Soroptimist.)
My 7 year old daughter is in a competitive dance team with Elite Studio of Dance in Elk Grove. We are looking for opportunities for the team to practice before their first competition on November 10th. Would the soroptimist members be interested in a performance at one of their upcoming meetings? They only have one song to perform so it would be short. Thank you for your consideration.
How fun! But I don’t think that either the timing or meeting location will work. Our first meeting of our Club is September 7 at 7:30am. We hold our morning meetings at Elk Grove Presbyterian Church. There really isn’t any room for a performance. And, our night time meeting location is a conference room in a local medical building. But, we wish you and the girls well!